collapse

* Recent posts

Author Topic: Venetian Snares  (Read 17324 times)

Offline brambo

• Administrator
  • Oneirich
Venetian Snares
« on: July 05, 2013, 08:41:18 AM »
Interview with Aaron Funk:

For the past few months, I’ve noticed Aaron Funk, aka Venetian Snares, reissuing rare, out of print, and older albums from his insanely vast discography through Bandcamp. This is exciting because I’ve never heard these older albums and am not surprised that they still hold up after more than a decade. And in his own words, Aaron Funk shares his Workspace & Environment…

76491_10150328290055111_8309878_n

Background
I was born in Winnipeg, MB, Canada. I have come and gone, but here I am again. I wouldn’t say I live in Winnipeg, I live in my home and when I venture out, I am in Winnipeg. I’m parked in a sense maybe. I’ve been making music all my life really, as far back as I can remember. I think I simply love music, that’s all there is really. It’s how I express myself best. No motivation other than that.

Favorite Hardware
Definitely my modular synth and 1176s. I rely on them. Most else I could get by without. These are probably my favorite sound shaping tools. The synth of course plays many roles.

My modular is mostly my own format. It’s multiple modules built onto panels with 1/8″ jacks. But it runs on +/-10v so it’s a bit more like Frac rather than Euro. I have a bit of Euro stuff + a rack of Modcan with banana jacks switched to 1/8″. Also have a rack of Blacet Mini-Waves in there which I love. Other than that it’s all this funny format unique to me. Built on 19″ panels with printed out stickers stuck on and holes hand drilled for pots and jacks. It looks super punk rock to me, I love it. I don’t give a shit what it looks like. It’s kinda like me, I look like a homeless guy most of the time but I’m lovely on the inside. Have a bunch of Oakley, CGS, Tellun, Ian Fritz, Jurgen Haible, MFOS, MOTM etc stuff as well as a bunch from my friend here in Winnipeg, Chris McDonald who builds it all for me. Tap Audio. He’s a wizard. He is one of my very closest friends. Maybe he would beat the shit out of you, but me and him are BFFs! He puts up with dumb shit from me like drilling out panels and labeling everything with stickers. I’ve got many of his own designs, they are some of my favorite modules. He’s also modded most other people’s designs when I bring them to him, improving upon them. He does nice shit, nice touches, he’ll build little mixers into modules for me so I can have multiple in and outs. Adds attenuators for absolutely everything! I love that. Who wants a bunch of attenuator modules?

A couple of my very fave modules are a sick Vactrol VCF of Chris’s which I rock all the time. He has a new filter based on that one which is 100x more mental now. His Ultra Seq sequencer design is one of my fave sequencers. It’s ridiculous. Neither of which I don’t think I’m supposed to talk about. I try to tell him he would do really well if he started manufacturing and selling this stuff but he doesn’t really give a shit. Just builds for friends. It’s like locally grown organic farming or something. Doepsanto. I get pretty into sequential switches, math modules, Interpolating Scanner is big fun. VCOs haha! Shit everything is so useful, all of it is my favorite. Guess I’ve had a few VCFs along the way I wasn’t too into but other than that, everything is so killer. Multiples. I love multiples!

I use the 1176s all the time to get things to sit back, sound forward. Fool around with the apparent loudness of a sound, all those fun little compression duties. They are magic. Simplest things but so useful. They add this kind of aroma I like as well. Transistors sweating perhaps. Really helps me to sculpt a mix with depth those things. Of course they are big fun to abuse as well, ramming the in or out to an extreme! Have a lot of fun with them making reverbs sound like they are swelling up in neat ways. I’ve never tried the UAD plug version but word is it’s nice as well. Also been pretty into this Valley People Dynamite. Heard there is a plug for that but haven’t tried it either.

Favorite Software
As far as software goes, all I really use is Renoise and Sony Sound Forge. I do all my tunes in Renoise but use Sound Forge almost as much to edit sounds, chop things. I’ve used that for years, since before Sony bought Sonic Foundry. So I’ve always been jumping back and forth to Sound Forge no matter what I was sequencing in over the years. I am also really into FM8 and was into FM7 before that. So dreamy FM synthesis, glass clouds and oceans of molten iron. Love that shit so much. Also been using the East/West Orchestra libraries forever, they’ve been super useful to me. Don’t really use fx plugs, just send things out these days.

That Vache tune was actually made in 2004, was the first tune I did in Renoise. Dug it out and videoed it a couple years later. I can’t remember why. I used to use Cubase and OctaMed for the PC at one point, sort of going back and forth. Midi and VST was good in Cubase and MED was inspiring as a tracker. But Renoise had both so ended up ditching them. I liked them but I felt like I wanted to keep everything in one place, you know? No, I don’t get bored of Renoise or anything else. It’s just a blank canvas. Sometimes I use Renoise only as a master clock and recorder. It’s great and so tight even with the BPM jumping around. Great clock! Never tried Abelton or anything else but I hear it’s fun.

Read the rest: http://trashaudio.com/2013/06/workspace-environment-venetian-snares/
Burn your holy books & open your eyes. - Ali A. Rizvi

Offline Neocortex

• Backstagers
  • Kareltje
Re: Venetian Snares
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:56:27 AM »
Tja, Renoise é.

sunnymuffins

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 10:45:09 AM »
voort eerst met die uad plugins gewerkt en idd wel zwaar nice, heb ze uiteindelijk bij elke track gebruikt van mn ep.

Offline ©®TM

• CELL Donors
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 02:23:17 AM »

Offline Slash

• Backstagers
  • Bleh!
    • Foggy
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 09:16:03 AM »
Bleh!

Offline Bungholio

• Into The Black
  • CELL Donors
  • cassé composé
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 01:20:49 PM »

Vet!

:D @ 10:25 - 11:00

damn vette set idd!

vrij gelijkaardig aan dien in de kreun als k et zo hoor
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 01:40:34 PM by Bungholio »
Le prix de la liberté c'est la parole des imbéciles

Offline Slash

• Backstagers
  • Bleh!
    • Foggy
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 02:06:44 PM »
Is da eigenlijk een mixer met ingebouwde sampler/effecten?
Bleh!

Offline Slash

• Backstagers
  • Bleh!
    • Foggy
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:17:41 AM »
Die set wordt blijkbaar binnenkort verwijderd van Youtube. Zie comment van uploader.

Voor de liefhebbers heb ik de originele video geript > wav > V0 MP3.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/j93oog

Klinkt vrij goed bij momenten, te zien waar dat ie staat met zijn camera. :-)
Nie letten op de bestandsnaam. Da was het origineel. Tis effectief een MP3.

:ambiance:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 11:19:24 AM by Slash »
Bleh!

Offline Bungholio

• Into The Black
  • CELL Donors
  • cassé composé
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 11:21:28 AM »

ik dank u zeer!  :respect:

ging da gisteren thuis al doen ma geen tijd gevonden 
Le prix de la liberté c'est la parole des imbéciles

Offline superpsilo

• Backstagers
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 02:56:26 PM »
Die set wordt blijkbaar binnenkort verwijderd van Youtube. Zie comment van uploader.

Klinkt vrij goed bij momenten, te zien waar dat ie staat met zijn camera. :-)
Nie letten op de bestandsnaam. Da was het origineel. Tis effectief een MP3.

:ambiance:

merci!

Offline dekloned.be

• Dekloned.nl / STP
  • Backstagers
  • Iteratie
    • dekloned.be # rekordstore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 03:15:23 PM »
Is da eigenlijk een mixer met ingebouwde sampler/effecten?

Jep, denk dat het een Pioneer DJM is.

Offline Jotie

• Backstagers
    • Le feestboek ~
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 01:25:35 AM »
2;3 gig voor da filmpke te downen, is da ni vree veel?

Offline ©®TM

• CELL Donors
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 09:16:30 PM »
2;3 gig voor da filmpke te downen, is da ni vree veel?
tis een dik uur in HQ dus ja da pakt wa plaats in he
ma sta precies nog online op youtube, dus kunt het zelf in lower Q (en dus kleinere size) rippen ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:18:37 PM by ©®TM »

Offline dark_ikkeuh

• Master of YU
  • CELL Donors
    • http://soundcloud.com/dafreeze
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 12:17:47 PM »
de drumprogramming van zn last step dinge zijn eigenlijk ook wel geschift zeg  :drool:

Offline Slash

• Backstagers
  • Bleh!
    • Foggy
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 01:57:33 PM »

Goeie set. Geluidskwaliteit is behoorlijk.

Behalve dan dit:
"Also, I further remastered the audio by (subtly, artfully) introducing some crowd sounds to make it sound more like an actual live concert as opposed to a lifeless, sterile board tape."

:doh:
Bleh!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal