collapse

* Recent posts

Author Topic: (Rock 'n Step & Otherstuffz) Jason Forrest Dutch Vice Magazine Mixtape  (Read 428 times)

Offline Havanazero

• Wanted Freak

JASON FORREST MAAKTE EEN MIXTAPE VOOR ONS, WAT MOET BETEKENEN DAT HIJ EEN OOGJE OP ONS HEEFT

Onder zijn toenmalige pseudoniem Donna Summer, een subtiele knipoog naar de legendarische discodiva Donna Summer (get it?!), was Jason Forrest begin deze eeuw onze officiële persoonlijke muzikale redding. Want dat waren zure tijden. The Chemical Brothers werden opeens kut, Daft Punk bracht een album uit dat nog gayer was dan, eh, Donna Summer, en Aphex Twin stopte opeens zonder reden allemaal q’s in de titels van zijn kutnummers. Maar Jason Forrest redde ons in die kille jaren door veel ritjes in streekbussen heen, en daar zijn we hem eeuwig dankbaar voor. Hij maakte speciaal voor ons een mixtape met daarop zijn tien favoriete nummers op het moment, en die kun je hier beluisteren. Met dank aan zijn en onze goede vriendin Mia.

http://www.birthdaypartyberlin.com/audio/JF-10tracksforVice.mp3

Hieronder de tracklist en zijn commentaar bij de tracks:
Ciccone Youth – March Of The Ciccone Robots
When this album came out in 98 I fucking hated it. But on my no-wave re-investigations of late I downloaded it, and surprise surprise- I freakin love it now. DOh!

Birthday Party – Mr. Clarinet
I became a fan of The Birthday Party back in ‘92 when their greatest hits was released. At first I didn’t know it was Nick Cave on vocals, but you figure it out quick. Anyway, after hearing so much hype about Health, I went back and listened to the folks they are drawing from like Swans and Birthday Party, and for some reason this track, Mr. Clarinet has been stuck in my head for the last 2 weeks.

More brilliant, insightful commentary after the jump

Dorian Concept – Freehand Monkey
I saw him play at State-X in Den Haag a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed his show. I just grabbed his album and find it absolutely stunning. Unlike his peers (Hud. Mo., Flying Lotus, etc.) I actually am impressed by his production skills, and the album as a whole is really open minded in a refreshing way. It’s funny, because it’s like dubstep finally embraced it’s suburban IDM roots and the result is a freedom of sound that only happens really infrequently.

Luthor- Some Place
And now we get to the dancey section of the mix, well sort of dancy. Art-step maybe – whatever- dubstep has become this vast sponge absorbing all sort of influences into a new hybrid sound which is really exciting. I’m still learning all the new labels and acts, and truth be told I don’t know a thing about this Luthor guy, but I love the mix of processing with the techno/house organ/stab synth over top with just a touch of rave… nice!

Baobinga and I.D. – Tongue Riddim
Dance music is all about trends and TBH, I don’t actually trust any producer who goes too far into any one of them. As a rule of thumb it’s best to bob along the top and try to pick and choose what you like from each as they surface. Baobinga is a great example and has been true to his own style and sounds since 2002 but picks up what’s current – in this case UK Funky- and flips it every time.

Brackles – LHC
Wow, definitely one of my tracks of the year, the chords at the beginning give me chills! Planet Mu came correct this year for sure! I got this one of their “the Mu School” comp which is all aces. Love the sort of double time feel on this track.

Silvio Ecomo and Chuckie – Moombah (Afrojack remix)
My pick for best club tune this year, Dutch House came on strong in mid 2009, and while it’s basically the same music that’s been going in that scene for a bunch of years, it translated over to the electro-house/bass scene and thank god for it! You Dutch folks know a thing or two about giant kick drums and their marching snares under squeaky rave synths have been the absolute party highs in most of my DJ sets of late.

Piotr Kurek – School Boy
A change up here musically, this is an unreleased track from my friend Piotr, who is 1/2 of the group Slepcy. His day job involved writing a bunch of music for dance and theater and you get the suspense here too. Sort of like a mix of Silver Apples and Portishead with a touch of The Books, I love how this song keeps developing and twisting as you go. Piotr’s new music has been on repeat lately so hopefully a great label will release it soon!

Liars – Scissor
The first track from their new album Sisterworld it appears as though this might be some of their strongest work yet for a group who already has quite a few highlights. I’m damn curious to check the rest of the album!

End – The Dangerous Class
A brand new track from a brand new END album! Hurrah!!! This track is definitely an advancement on the classic End sound, with chopped breaks and outlaw guitsr samples, giving way to a lush string arrangement. Nice End to a great year in music!

dustrickx

Re: (Rock 'n Step & Otherstuffz) Jason Forrest Dutch Vice Magazine Mixtape
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »
jezes degene die da artikel heeft geschreven mogen ze ook afmaken van mij...
afx, chemical brothers en daft punk op één lijn zetten en ze alle drie verbaal afslachte en dan donna summer op een altaar plaatsen lijkt mij redelijk ongepast...

Offline brambo

• Administrator
  • Oneirich
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 01:02:34 PM »
bwaaaaa
Burn your holy books & open your eyes. - Ali A. Rizvi

dustrickx

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 04:37:26 PM »
 :think:

Offline Havanazero

• Wanted Freak
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 01:27:32 AM »
jezes degene die da artikel heeft geschreven mogen ze ook afmaken van mij...
afx, chemical brothers en daft punk op één lijn zetten en ze alle drie verbaal afslachte en dan donna summer op een altaar plaatsen lijkt mij redelijk ongepast...

't is en blijft 1. Hipster-gerief 2. De Vice ééééh 3. De Hollanders editie

:mrgreen:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal